Diegueno Sun

Diegueno Sun

• February 16YEARBOOKS ARE NOW $45! Buy yours today at Jostensyearbooks.com

Uber For Kids?

Sophia Funicello, Staff

Sophia Funicello
The HopSkipDrive app is easy to download and easy to use!

Imagine this: you’re 13 years-old but still need a babysitter to drive you home after school.

Sounds a little embarrassing, right? You can’t drive yet and your house is too far away to walk. That’s where HopSkipDrive comes in! HopSkipDrive is a ride service for kids and anyone who needs a little extra help. It was designed by three moms who understand the struggle of having lots of after school activities to get to and only one car.

Here’s how it works; using the HopSkipDrive app, your parents schedule a ride at least 8 hours in advance if ride is after 10am., if ride is before 10am. they must schedule it by 7pm the night before. Then, when your CareDriver arrives to pick you up, they confirm a personalized password that you and your parents come up with. HopSkipDrive’s partnership with Zendrive helps them to monitor the drivers’ behavior during your ride, and your parents can also track your ride using the app.

Now of course, your parents will wonder “Is it safe?”. In short, yes. All CareDrivers have certain requirements and background checks that they go through way before they hit the road,  such as a 15-point Driver Certification Process that includes no criminal record, and being fingerprinted.

While HopSkipDrive is expanding more and more everyday, it’s currently available in Southern California, San Francisco Bay Area, and Colorado-Front Range Area. It’s also available in Encinitas!

But the real question is, what do DNO students think of this “Uber” for kids? Well, Grace Wheeler says “I think it’s a good idea as long as they take a lot of precautions to make it safe.”

If you want to check it out for yourself, here is a link to the HopSkipDrive website: https://www.hopskipdrive.com/

And here is a link to a video that talks about HopSkipDrive: https://youtu.be/_IXk4wjKk-4

Uber For Kids?