Diegueno Sun

Diegueno Sun

• February 16YEARBOOKS ARE NOW $45! Buy yours today at Jostensyearbooks.com

Is Excitement An Excuse for Crime?

Camella Stpierre, Staff

The Patriots have won many games and are almost unbeatable. Sunday, February 4th this year, the Eagles unexpectedly won by 8 points. After the Super Bowl, Eagles fans started big riots claiming it was because they were “excited”. Groups of fans began to break store windows, mugg markets, climb street lights and much more. Many civilians and Policemen have been injured from people flipping cars and causing destruction. Street workers had to grease poles so that the Eagles fans wouldn’t climb them. Groups of people cursed at Tom Brady, climbed trucks and overall ruined the streets. Jade Bedol and Shelby Gillman have shared their opinion about the riots.

Shelby Gillman is 13 years old and goes to Diegueno Middle School. She is a big fan of football and watched this years Super Bowl. She believes that being excited is not a good excuse for vandalizing and stealing. “If your team wins, you should be happy and celebrating with your family, not crashing into windows.” Shelby thinks that the reason they were doing these things was because of all of the adrenaline pumping in their bodies or maybe even alcohol. Shelby thinks that it is not right for people to be doing all these things and that they should stop.

Jade Bedol is another student at Diegueno and thinks that it was horrible for people to be doing all these things. “I saw someone lighting a car on fire, it was crazy!” She thinks that these things are happening because it was the first time the Eagles won and because they were so shocked. She thinks that it would be okay for them to do these things if they weren’t acting so crazy and if  they were keeping the streets cleaner by not blowing things up. “I don’t really think anyone was thinking. I think that everyone was just wanting to celebrate.”

Is Excitement An Excuse for Crime?