Losing A Piece of Leucadia

Losing A Piece of Leucadia

Back to Article
Back to Article

Losing A Piece of Leucadia

Katie Kraemer, News Writer

The Tragedy of Mozy Cafe

If you are a true local to Encinitas, you have most likely eaten at the artsy, delicious, and colorful, Mozy Cafe. On September 30, 2019 at around 12:15 am, Mozy Cafe was reportedly in flames. The whole building was destroyed, and all that remained was black, burnt pieces of wood. This tragedy was a big devastation for many, since the welcoming cafe had such a special place in many people’s hearts. Sofia Pani, an Encinitas local for her whole life, was especially upset about Mozy Cafe burning down. She shares, “I would always go there with my family after surfing-it was a tradition of ours. The food was never disappointing and I will miss the overall friendly, beachy vibe.” The cafe was super chill, people would roll straight from the beach with sandy toes at the ordering counter. It truly represented the joyful vibe of Leucadia and Encinitas. Maya Marovich, an 8th grade student at Diegueno Middle says, “I hope that they rebuild this cafe as soon as possible, although the vintage and artistic feel will be difficult to recreate.” The cause of the fire is still unknown. However, police and fireman will continue to investigate. The community immediately started a GoFundMe page, of which received $4,000 in donations within the first 24 hours of it being up. Overall, Encinitas came together to support a local business and loss of an iconic eatery. The Encinitas community will never forget Mozy Cafe.