Diegueno Sun

Diegueno Sun

• February 16YEARBOOKS ARE NOW $45! Buy yours today at Jostensyearbooks.com

Straw ban, are you a fan?

Margot Silberman, Staff

California is paving a way to a healthier cleaner environment. Starting January 1st, the governor of California, Jerry Brown, made a law that sit-down restaurants were not to give out plastic straws to their customers unless the customer requests otherwise. However, this environmental law isn’t marketed towards fast food restaurants, who some says are the real plastic culprits. Many applauded this decision calling it a small inconvenience that will make a huge difference in our environment. While, others criticized the idea calling it the “Ridiculous law of the week”. If a restaurant decides to bypass this law and hand out plastic straws freely, they will be fined $25 a day or a maximum of 300 dollars! I went out around campus and asked three seventh grade students their opinion on the matter. The first question I asked was what is your opinion on this upcoming law? “I think that this law is helpful for our environment” Sage Ligotti informed me during our interview. Every student I asked agreed with Sage saying that plastic was ruining our environment. I followed up this question by asking if this law should also apply to fast food restaurants as well. Mikayla Pinkstaff replied saying, “Yes, more people eat at fast food restaurants during the day than sit down restaurants. So it would benefit more to involve fast food restaurants.” Out of the three people I interviewed (Sage Ligotti, Mikayla Pinkstaff, and Lauren Wong) all of them agreed that this law was a good idea. Eliminating plastic straws at sit down restaurants may only eliminate a minuscule amount of plastic, but at least it will be getting rid of some of it. If you really want to make a difference in California you’ll appreciate this law.

Straw ban, are you a fan?