Diegueno Sun

Diegueno Sun

• February 16YEARBOOKS ARE NOW $45! Buy yours today at Jostensyearbooks.com

Go Green or Go Artificial

Back to Article
Back to Article

Go Green or Go Artificial

Real and Artificial tree

Real and Artificial tree

Emma Ek and Mika McDonald

Real and Artificial tree

Emma Ek and Mika McDonald

Emma Ek and Mika McDonald

Real and Artificial tree

Alicia Lee, Staff Writer

The question many people debate about during this time of the year is finding a choice between real or artificial Christmas tree? It was several centuries ago when Germany was credited to start the Christmas tree tradition. Devoted Christians brought home a decorated Christmas tree which is now an essential part of celebrating this joyful time of year. Although, after all these years of controversy there isn’t a clear answer to this question.

Artificial

Makayla Blumental -Tells me her opinion on having an artificial Christmas Tree

Fake trees are a good alternative for people suffering from allergies to pine scent. Especially the mold and dust that are part of a real Christmas tree.These trees don’t need constant maintenance and can be left for however long you would like. Makayla Blumenthal, a seventh grader at Diegueno personally feels that having an artificial tree is a less of a hassle. “The benefits to having a fake tree is that there are no needles involve creating a less messy Christmas. My family doesn’t have to buy a new one every year and it is cost effective. We always decorate the tree as a family and play Christmas music throughout the house,” Makayla Blumenthal said.  Artificial trees range in prices depending on how tall and big you want it. These trees could be used for up to eight to nine years.

However, there is always a flip side to everything. Many people think artificial Christmas trees look synthetic. People purchase fake trees out of convenience, although toxic plastics are being used to make these trees. Most of these trees are made from abroad and those countries use a non-recyclable plastic material, PVC which stands for polyvinyl chloride. This material used to make artificial trees eventually end up in the ocean. According to a research done in an article on the Huffington Post, “An artificial tree needs to be reused for many years to make it more environmentally friendly than buying a fresh-cut tree annually.” When purchasing a fake tree consider all these factors along with the goods to it.

Real Pine Trees

Real trees are a good option because it brings the smell of Christmas Time into the home. These trees take in carbon dioxide and other harmful green

8th Grader Emma Ek – stating her thoughts on real trees

house gases that releases fresh oxygen in the air. These trees are recyclable and provide jobs during this holiday season. Many families think that Christmas isn’t the same without a real tree because of the annual traditions made like picking out a tree. “My family and a couple other families go to Home Depot every year exploring the unique and different trees. We pick out a tree and play hide and seek tag and eat cookies along with drinking hot cocoa with candy canes,” eighth grader Emma Ek said. Real Christmas trees have their perks but also have their downsides. Many people who own real Christmas trees love the fresh scent, although people complains about maintaining a real tree. A former seventh grader said, “I like having a real Christmas tree, but the

Enzo Okada- Talks about the cons of having a real tree

y die in a short amount of time and sometimes when the tree dies our family has to clean up the needles that have fallen from the tree. Maintaining the tree can be difficult at times and buying a new one every year can be a hassle,” Enzo Okada said. It is important to recycle your tree after the season is over. “There are approximately 25-30 million Real Christmas Trees sold in the U.S. every year,” reported from National Christmas Tree Association. This massive amount of trees sold could be used in a resourceful way. 

Christmas is not just about presents and decorations but there are many traditions involving the Christmas tree.The debate on which Christmas tree is better: artificial or fake will continue. There are many factors to be considered when buying a Christmas tree. Which type of tree did you or will get this year?

• Go Green or Go Artificial

Opinion

Should PG-13 Movies Have Limitless F-bombs?

• Go Green or Go Artificial

Opinion

The Phone Caddy, Your Worst Nightmare

• Go Green or Go Artificial

Opinion

Encinitas’ Rain Season and Its Impact

• Go Green or Go Artificial

Opinion

Breakfast at the Pence’s

• Opinion

Old Music vs. New Music

• Go Green or Go Artificial

Opinion

Should Students Be Allowed To Eat During Class?

• Go Green or Go Artificial

Opinion

Are Zoos Good or Bad for Animals?

• Opinion

Do you play?

• Opinion

Texting and Walking – Is it Worth $35?

• Opinion

Fearful Fruit

Go Green or Go Artificial