Diegueno Sun

Diegueno Sun

• February 16YEARBOOKS ARE NOW $45! Buy yours today at Jostensyearbooks.com

Should PG-13 Movies Have Limitless F-bombs?

Kate Alberts, Editor

The MPAA, or Motion Picture Association of America, creates the guidelines for what renders a movie PG-13 or R- rated. Many factors are considered in the deciding of a movie’s rating, such as bad language, drinking and drugs, sexual content, violence, and more. In a PG-13 movie, an f-bomb may be dropped twice in the duration of the entire movie for it to remain PG-13. Many big budget filmmakers try to keep within the limit so as to maintain a PG-13 rating. The reason for this being that a large portion of movie-goers are teens, so blockbusters such as Marvel movies stay within the two f-bomb range to ensure the money from teenage attendees is not lost. Smaller independent films tend to go way over the 2 f-bomb limit because they are attracting a more adult audience by not being as mainstream as say, the next Avengers movie. Many people question whether the 2 f-bomb restriction on PG-13 movies is necessary and if it should be limitless instead. The question presented to these two Diegueno students was, “Should the MPAA put a number on how many f-bombs they can use in a PG-13 movie? If yes, how many times should it be permitted?” Kevin Goldman responded saying, “Two? It should be 10-15. If kids are going to see a PG-13 movie, they can probably handle more than just two f-bombs, since they are likely 13 or older. It seems pointless to put a restriction on it when kids hear it and say it every day at school, online, and pretty much everywhere else.” Hailey Armentrout believes there should be no limit whatsoever, explaining “If kids can hear the ‘f-word’ twice, what’s a few more times? We hear it and say it so much in our everyday lives that it shouldn’t influence a movie’s rating. If a teenager can’t handle hearing the ‘f-word’ multiple times, maybe they shouldn’t be watching a PG-13 movie in the first place. Go back to watching Disney Channel lol.” At Carlsbad Regal Theater, a movie usher by the name of Paul Mallen responded to the question saying, “The MPAA ratings are in place to protect children from the extremities of adult content, language included. Teenagers younger than 17 should not be exposed to such large quantities of bad language. That’s why the limit is two f-bombs. The limit should be no f-bombs if you ask me, poor influence on younger generations.” So, what do you think? Should the restrictions on the f-word in PG-13 movies be loosened, removed all together, or is it fine the way it is?

• Should PG-13 Movies Have Limitless F-bombs?

Opinion

The Phone Caddy, Your Worst Nightmare

Opinion

Encinitas’ Rain Season and Its Impact

Opinion

Breakfast at the Pence’s

• Opinion

Old Music vs. New Music

Opinion

Go Green or Go Artificial

Opinion

Should Students Be Allowed To Eat During Class?

Opinion

Are Zoos Good or Bad for Animals?

• Opinion

Do you play?

• Opinion

Texting and Walking – Is it Worth $35?

• Opinion

Fearful Fruit