• February 16YEARBOOKS ARE NOW $50! They will sell out, so buy your today at Jostensyearbooks.com

Lets Taco ‘Bout It: The Taco Stand

Photo Credit Picasa

Photo Credit Picasa

Picasa

Picasa

Photo Credit Picasa

Taylor Lee, Editor

Feb 17, 2017 It is the latest buzz in Diegueno from students and teachers. The Taco Stand  located in 642 S Coast Hwy 101, Encinitas, CA 92024 is a Mexican Baja style restaurant known for their delicious fresh tacos and burritos as well as many other dishes. I have been here about 4 or 5 times and the atmosphere is always friendly and festive with their Mexican music playing. I decided to try some of their known foods with my friends as we ventured in Encinitas.

The Taco Stand first opened in La Jolla in 2013 then opened 2 more locations (San Diego and Encinitas) in 2016. According to the website it states, “We’re a family owned taqueria inspired by the taco stands of Tijuana and our adventures along the Baja peninsula,” It continues, “With the majority of our time spent in San Diego, we needed an authentic taco stand experience to satisfy our cravings north of the border.” Everything in The Taco Stand is made from family recipes and everything is made from scratch. They also handmade their corn tortilla and use only the freshest ingredients. One of the employees I interviewed told me, “The food at Taco Stand is different in our quality and our working and preparing process.” There most popular item is the Al Pastor tacos which has rotisserie marinated pork, cilantro, onions, cilantro sauce, and pineapples. “I always get the Baja fish tacos and the el pastor tacos here at The Taco Stand. I love the music and the cool tiles they have here.” says one of the customers. The Taco Stand won best tacos in Tacotopia, a San Diego Reader search for “San Diego’s Best Taco” in 2015. “My favorite item here is the Surf and Turf fries (Mar y Tierra fries) that comes with nacho cheese, guacamole, chipotle sauce, grilled shrimp fries, sour cream, and steak. ” says the employee at Taco Stand.

This place is usually the most busiest on weekends, luckily my friends and I went on a Friday around 11;30 am when the  big crowd wasn’t the lunch rush. “We have lines all the way outside on weekends usually. Around 20 people during this time.” he said. I have been here during the lunch times before and it is very crowded. We wait in the line usually for about 20-30 minutes and order our food on a typical Saturday. Although it may take a while, it is worth the wait.

The employee offered us free Al Pastor tacos and said, “I will make sure we make the best food for you guys so you guys can review.” I would give that an extra bonus point.

Here are the list of things we ate at Taco Stand to review:

Chips and Guacamole $3.89

California Burrito $7.89

Pescado (Mahi Mahi) Burrito $8.09

Al Pastor Tacos $2.99

The Classic Chips and Guacamole

This combination is the ultimate duo for Mexican sides. The guacamole was very fresh and the chips just came out of the fryer. It tasted homemade.

4/5

California Burrito

This burrito has steak, cheese, fries, guacamole, tomato, salsa,  and sour cream. This is by far my favorite burrito at the Taco Stand. They give you a lot in size wise and inside the burrito as well.

Overall we agreed:

5/5

Mahi Mahi Burrito

This is the burrito my friend had. In this it included grilled fish, cabbage, cilantro, onions, tomato, avocado and chipotle sauce.

Overall we all agreed:

4.5/5

Al Pastor Tacos

We all got a free al pastor taco thanks to the friendly employees! It included the tangy flavors of pork, cilantro, cilantro sauce,  onions, and pineapples. The fruits were soft and sweet. The meat was really tender and overall the flavor was spicy but not overly spicy. This had a lot of flavors combined into one taco. Ariavash Sefidvash said, “I am not usually a big fan of tacos but this one was really good.”

Overall we agreed:

5/5

The Overall Pros and Cons of Taco Stand

Pros:

-Everything is fresh and homemade and also made right then in front of you.

-Festive and all around good vibes

-The decor and interior of this place

-The flavor and ingredients used inside these amazing dishes are delicious

-The workers are friendly

-Burritos are a generous size

-In my opinion, they serve the best California burritos in San Diego (I always get this burrito every time I come here.)

Cons:

-It gets really busy on weekends (Recommend calling earlier to order!) The moment it was around 12 am to 1 pm the crowd started getting bigger on the Friday we went. I had to wait once for 45 minutes for food on a Saturday during lunch once but otherwise good.

-The size of the tacos are small (but very delicious)

– A bit pricey

If you would like to know more or visit http://www.letstaco.com/index.html or call (760)-230-2061 (The Encinitas location)

Credits: Lets Taco Instagram/ Picture above

Lets Taco ‘Bout It: The Taco Stand