Diegueno Sun

Diegueno Sun

• February 16YEARBOOKS ARE NOW $45! Buy yours today at Jostensyearbooks.com

Meet the Girl Who’s Changing Gender Stereotypes

Julia Knapp with her parents.

Julia Knapp with her parents.

Julia Knapp with her parents.

Skyler Martin, Editor

In an era where girls and women are finally speaking their mind, Julia Knapp is no different. One summer day, Julia, a soccer and basketball star, was hanging around with friends when they decided to see who could kick the farthest. Someone held the ball. Julia ran and kicked. A friend grabbed their phone and started recording. The clip made its way to her school’s football coach, and he recruited her for the team. ““I wasn’t quite sure how it was going to work, when I was supposed to run out onto the field,” Julia recalled. “But after I made the kick it was a really good feeling. It felt like I had accomplished something that no one else had.”

Julia, a senior at South Iredell High school, is the only girl on the Vikings, her school’s football team. So far, she has been doing very well on her team and has empowered her friends, family, and the world around her to challenge gender stereotypes.

Julia hasn’t only been playing football. She was also crowned homecoming queen by her peers. On Facebook, her mother Susan Brubaker Knapp posted “Last night she [Julia] was named both Offensive Player of the Game and Homecoming Queen! One of the coolest things to come from her playing: all the little girls – and boys – coming up after the games to talk to her and have photos taken with her. She’s helping break stereotypes, and encouraging girls to dream big and do whatever they put their minds to.” Julia was pictured posing with her parents. Over her football uniform, she was wearing her homecoming queen sash, holding her helmet, a tiara perched on her head.

Julia Knapp with her parents.