Diegueno Sun

Diegueno Sun

• February 16YEARBOOKS ARE NOW $45! Buy yours today at Jostensyearbooks.com

Surfs Up in the Golden State

Surfing+is+now+the+official+state+sport+of+California.+
Surfing is now the official state sport of California.

The National

The National

Arra Marie Larson, Staff

Monday, August 20, 2018 is a day to go down in California history, the day surfing is declared the official state sport. Governor Jerry Brown signed legislation that dedicates surfing in the state’s code. Surfing became popular after being imported from Hawaii. People think that it’s wrong for California to make their sport one that wasn’t originally their own, but California has 1,100 miles of coastline. The modern surfboard was invented in The Golden State, too. There are many world famous surf breaks including: Malibu, Trestles, Mavericks, Rincon, Steamer Lane, and Huntington. Huntington Beach is even a courtroom-validated Surf City and is home to the Surfers’ Hall of Fame.

Some people think that skateboarding should be the state sport because it is native to California. According to the Sports and Fitness Industry Association, there are only 1.7 million surfers in the United States and 6.2 million skateboarders. Even though there are more skateboarders, surfing brings in more money. Globally, the surfing industry generates about $10 billion yearly and $6 billion of that comes from California. Almost 20,000 people are employed in the surfing industry in California. By comparison, skateboarding only generates $4.8 billion yearly.

Despite the statewide debate, when the students of Diegueno voted there was not a single vote for skateboarding. Starr Harrell thought, “Surfing should be the state sport because we are on the coast.” Katie Toomey agreed, “We have the best beaches, so it should be surfing!” So go thank the Hawaiians for giving us our new state sport!

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-romero-skateboarding-surfing-california-state-sport-20180311-story.html#

https://www.dailybreeze.com/2018/08/20/epic-surfing-becomes-californias-official-state-sport/

Surfs Up in the Golden State