Diegueno Sun

Diegueno Sun

• February 16YEARBOOKS ARE NOW $45! Buy yours today at Jostensyearbooks.com

Surfing- the Official Sport of California

Back to Article
Back to Article

Surfer in CA

Surfer in CA

Image by Mark Boster

Surfer in CA

Image by Mark Boster

Image by Mark Boster

Surfer in CA

Elsa Steer, Staff

How many people do you know are surfers? Are you one of them? In California, surfing has become the state’s official sport. Al Muratsuchi is a state assemblyman from Torrance, which is a city close to Haggerty’s, a popular surfing spot. Muratsuchi not only created the movement, but guided the law through the Legislature, ensuring that surfing be made our official sport. He has been a surfer for the majority of his life and, like most of us near the coast, grew up with boards and waves. However, inland residents, such as people in the desert or mountainous parts of Cali. may not want surfing, which is mostly unavailable to them, as the whole state´s official sport. If you lived in the mountains, wouldn’t you want the official sport to apply to you, too? After all, you cannot surf. So why should it be the representative sport of the whole state´s population?
On the other hand, coastline residents agree with Al Muratsuchi when he states, “No other sport represents the California Dream better than surfing — riding the waves of opportunity and living in harmony with nature.” Other members of the assembly proved to agree with him, and surfing became California´s state-wide sport on Monday, August 20, 2018.
The majority of the state´s population has surfed, though it is recognized that California did not, in fact, invent the sport. In Hawaii, surfing was officially created, but using wooden boards. Californians take pride, though, in the fact that the surfboard was perfected and the wetsuit was invented in California. Nationwide, California coastlines are regarded as sunny, beautiful and the overall surfing paradise of the United States. After all, what sport could better represent ¨Sunny California¨
than surfing?

Works Cited
Thompson, Don. “Surf´s up in California- Where It´s Now the Official Sport.” Newsela | No Legs, No Problem for Alabama Teenage Wrestler Who Went 37-0, Newsela, 2018, newsela.com/read/elem-surfing-official-sport-california/id/45516/.

• Surfing- the Official Sport of California

Sports

Babe Ruth’s Legacy

Sports

Quade Green Transfers From Kentucky

• Sports

CATastrophe

• Sports

NHL Wardrobe Fail

Sports

Surfs Up in the Golden State

Sports

In it to Win it!

• Sports

Spring training

• Videos

Early Holiday Decorating

• Features

A Student with a Story to Tell

Sports

Babe Ruth’s Legacy