ISPE- for or against?

Back to Article
Back to Article

ISPE- for or against?

Marina Nicolaidis, Editor

Some may say ISPE is one of the best new additions to our middle schools and high schools, while others strongly disagree, stating that kids are taking advantage of this luxury. ISPE stands for independent study physical education, which some students are offered in place of PE. This opportunity has many advantages, as well as many strict requirements. Students can only apply for ISPE if they take an independent sport for at least three hours a week, which covers the amount of time you would be spending in PE class. You must complete and turn in a quarterly check up that provides your personal progress and hours you dedicated to your sport. Although this seems like a wonderful compromise for students who physically do not need to take PE, many people believe kids are misusing this privilege. I interviewed both students and students’ parents, which helped show the different perspectives both adults and students have on ISPE. Eighth grader Gia Oliff stated, “I think ISPE is one of the best qualities of Diegueno. I barely have any time for homework because of my sport, so this way I get out early and am able to do what I need to.” On the other hand, a parent that has requested to remain anonymous expressed, “I have seen too many cases where kids are using ISPE to get out of school earlier rather than because the sport they are committed to is taking up lots of their time, which is why I do not allow my child to participate in ISPE.” Both sides of this continuous debate are valid, as you should not abuse the ISPE requirements as well as you should appreciate what our school offers.