March Madness 2019

Back to Article
Back to Article

March Madness 2019

LOUISVILLE, KENTUCKY - MARCH 30:  Kyle Guy #5 of the Virginia Cavaliers celebrates after a three pointer against the Purdue Boilermakers during the second half of the 2019 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament South Regional at KFC YUM! Center on March 30, 2019 in Louisville, Kentucky. (Photo by Kevin C.  Cox/Getty Images)

LOUISVILLE, KENTUCKY - MARCH 30: Kyle Guy #5 of the Virginia Cavaliers celebrates after a three pointer against the Purdue Boilermakers during the second half of the 2019 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament South Regional at KFC YUM! Center on March 30, 2019 in Louisville, Kentucky. (Photo by Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images)

Getty Images

Getty Images

Getty Images

Amelia Patrick, Staff

As many of you basketball fans know, it’s time for March Madness, or the NCAA Men’s Division I Basketball Tournament! (If you don’t know what March Madness is: “The 2019 NCAA Division I Men’s Basketball Tournament is a single-elimination tournament of 68 teams to determine the men’s National Collegiate Athletic Association Division I college basketball national champion for the 2018–19 season (NCAA Division I Men’s Basketball Tournament),” (Wikipedia).March Madness is a lot more than a tournament for many fans and there are a lot of activities that take place during the tournament.

Fans bet money and make their own predictions for how they think the tournament is going to go, these are called brackets. From Mar 19, 2019 – Apr 8, 2019, you will probably hear a lot about peoples brackets. Fans get super into this tournament, just listen to what wallethub.com has to say: “This 68-team basketball bonanza has been known to crown a Cinderella or two, produce at least one shining moment a year, and turn millions of Americans into illegal gamblers. It’s that good.” Submitting and betting on brackets are what fans love to do during March Madness.

Many officials and fans have Duke as the winning team, and those who don’t, at least have Duke in their final four. “It’s all about Zion, a singular talent who has been the most impactful player in college basketball this season. Good luck stopping him.” “Duke’s the team to beat, as Zion Williamson is the best player in the country by a long shot.” “This tournament will be remembered as the Zion Williamson show. Just as he owned the ACC tournament, Williamson will dominate March Madness with a series of monster dunks, blocks and brute force.” Those are a few things “The Detroit Free Press” had to say about the tournament, notice any pattern? Zion Williamson is a 6 ft 7 in, 285 pound, American basketball player. Zion is 18 years old and plays forward for the Duke Blue Devils. Many people have Duke winning it all because of Zion Williamson’s skills. Now, getting into this years stats for the tournament:

Virginia and Texas Tech have a spot in the Final Four as of March 30th. The Virginia vs. Purdue game on March 30th had fans going crazy. One student explained the game as, “…the best basketball game I have ever seen.” March Madness has definitely succeed to entertain fans all over the world.

Duke and Michigan State will face- off on March 31st for a spot in the Final Four; many are excited for this game as well. Clare Patrick, an avid fan of March Madness and basketball player herself said that, “It will be a close game.”A dad with a large sports background also gave his opinion on the game: “Two great teams, either one could win the whole thing, it is going to be a battle for 40 minutes.”

As I said before, Duke is a top choice for many people, and often in the Final Four or as their winning team, so when Duke lost by one point to Michigan State many people’s brackets were stunned. There are few, to none perfect or close to perfect brackets, and for those who were doing good probably didn’t have that game going the way it did.

After another round of basketball, Michigan State was knocked out of the tournament by Texas Tech. Virginia beat the Auburn Tigers by one point to take their spot in the final game.

On April 8, 2019 the Cavaliers (Virginia) and the Red Raiders (Texas Tech) battled for the championship title. Virginia beat Texas Tech in over time by eight points. This 2019 season was the first time Virginia had received the title of March Madness Champions and it was the third time they had made it to the Final Four.