Kids Tackle Football

Ron Chenoy-USA TODAY Sports

Quincy Boddicker, Staff Writer

Over the last few years, there has been tons of controversy. Should kids in tackle football be allowed to play? This is an unanswered question to this day. Some students from Diegueno Middle have some input and opinion on the situation.
Pop Warner was founded in 1929. Since then, concussion rates have gone up for kids at an intense rate. Studies also show that most concussions happen in ages 10-17 and are in fact, caused by playing tackle football. Does this prove anything?
When asked if Pop Warner children should be able to play football, Kennedy Weiss says, “Yes, they should be allowed to play, but they should take it easy” When Vivian Maynes was asked the same question, she replied with, “I think it’s a very dangerous sport and could maybe be played by kids of an older age, rather than young boys with an easier head injury rate.” This, for some, is debatable.
Studies have shown that most children the age of the players say playing tackle football as kids is fine and shouldn’t be looked at as dangerous. However, on the contrary, most parents would disagree. Most adults believe tackle football, being played at a young age, entails nothing but head injuries. When that information was presented to Kennedy, she gasped. “That’s silly,” she says, “Kids should be able to do what feels right for them.” Vivian also had a similar opinion to that question.
According to the students at Diegueno, tackle football for Pop Warner and other leagues, should be here to stay, despite the scared adults. Over the last few years, there has been tons of controversy. Should kids in tackle football be allowed to play? This is an unanswered question to this day. Some students from Diegueno Middle have some input and opinion on the situation.
According to the students at Diegueno, tackle football for Pop Warner and other leagues, should be here to stay, despite the scared adults.